Your Duty to Pray for your Pastor
Tis the Duty of every Member to pray for their Pastor and Teachers. Brethren, pray for us, (I Thess. 5.25) that the Word of the Lord may run and be glorified. Again, saith Paul, Praying also for us, that God would open unto us a door of utterance, to speak the Mystery of Christ. Prayer was made without ceasing of the Church unto God for him. (Heb. 13.18) They that neglect this Duty seem not to care either for their Minister, or their own Souls, or whether Sinners be converted, and the Church edified or not. They pray for their daily Bread, and will they not pray to have the Bread of Life plentifully broken to them?
1. Ministers Work is great: Who is sufficient for these things? (II Cor. 2.16)
2. The Opposition is not small which is made against them. (I Cor. 16.9)
3. God’s loud Call is (as well as Ministers themselves) for the Saint’s continual Prayers and Supplication for them. (I Tim. 4.3, 4, 5)
4. Their Weaknesses and Temptations are many.
5. The Increase and Edification of the Church depends upon the Success of their Ministry.
6. If they fall or miscarry, God is greatly dishonoured, and his Ways and People reproached.
SOURCE: The Glory of a True Church by Keach